Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 01:59:54 +0200 (CEST)
From: Hans Schou <sslug@sslug>
To: sslug@sslug
Subject: UNIX billion seconds and Linux 10 years birthday

Hi Mark

I must say that we are quite confused here in Denmark. How did you find
out that we are going to have a party? Can you read danish?

Anyway, it is true that we have been planning a party when UNIX system
time passes 10^9 seconds and we will probably combine it with Linux 10
(10^1) years birthday which is around 15th september 2001.
Together it will be a 10^10 anniversarie :-)

First in the morning at 8th september we will go to local zoo and eat some
herrings together with the penguins. We have Humbolt penguins at our local
zoo but it will do despite Tux looks more like a Emperor penguin. As
penguins prefers raw herrings we will eat marinadede herrings which is
almost raw. If raw herrings are good for penguins it will also be for us.
And ofcourse we will use a penguin costume[1] which we will borrow from
the danish UNIX user group (DKUUG).

In the evening we will have dinner and party all the night. At 03:46
danish time we start some fireworks controled by a Linux computer and
drink champagne. I think we will use some kind of indoor fireworks which
is used at rock concert and take it all on a webcam so other people around
the world can join the celebration. The evening party is more a UNIX party
so I don't think we will eat raw herrings then.

The advertising for the parties will be on posters and t-shirts. The logo
is not designed yet but will most likely play around with the 10^10
calculation. We like ones and zeros :)

The party is not planned in details so it can be changed.

[1] http://www.sslug.dk/moede/medlems/2001-03-03/pix/2r0012458.jpg

best regards/hans
--
Hamletsgade 4 - 201, DK-2200 København N, Phone: +45 2264 8020
http://schou.dk

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 20:27 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]