Re: [MOEDE] Program for moedet paa tirsdag?

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sslug@sslug> writes:

> "Devfs"??? Det tror jeg ogsaa jeg kunne taale at hoere om.
> Hvad med et par linier for de uindviede til at starte med?

Fra http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.txt

What is it?                                                           <section>
===========

Devfs is an alternative to "real" character and block special devices
on your root filesystem. Kernel device drivers can register devices by
name rather than major and minor numbers. These devices will appear in
the devfs automatically, with whatever default ownership and
protection the driver specified.

[En lang række problemer det "løser", bare for at nævne et enkelt:]

/dev growth                                                        <subsection>
-----------
A typical /dev has over 1200 nodes! Most of these devices simply don't
exist because the hardware is not available. A huge /dev increases the
time to access devices (I'm just referring to the dentry lookup times
and the time taken to read inodes off disc: the next subsection shows
some more horrors).

[...]

Who else does it?                                                     <section>
=================

FreeBSD-current now has a devfs implementation. Solaris 2 has a
pseudo-devfs (something akin to scsidev but for all devices, with some
unspecified kernel support). BeOS  and Plan9 also have it. SGI's IRIX
6.4 and above also have a device filesystem.

While we shouldn't just automatically do something because others do
it, we should not ignore the work of others either. FreeBSD has a lot
of competent people working on it, so their opinion should not be
blithely ignored.

--
I congratulate you. Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone,
and may each of you fry in hell forever.

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 20:26 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]