Re: [LOCALE] Language Info Needed for Aspell (fwd)

Jeg prøver her at samle op på den diskussion vi har haft og brygge et
samlet forslag til en opdatering af teksten sammen til Kevin.

<udkast>

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> Compound Words
> ==============
>
> In some languages, such as German, it is acceptable to string two
> words together, thus forming a compound word.  However, there are
> rules to when this can be done.  Furthermore, it is not always
> sufficient to simply concatenate the two words.  For example,
> sometimes a letter is inserted between the two words.  I tried
> implementing support for compound words in Aspell but it was too
> limiting and no one used it.  Before I try implementing it again I
> want to know all the issues involved.

This section could benefit from a reformulation and extension.

In some languages, such as German, words can be created by combining
already existing words.  Since it in most cases is incorrect to write
such a compound word in its separate parts, it is important that a
spell checker is aware of these rules.  Compound words are in general
not simply created by joining to valid spellings together.  In the
case of the Germanic languages the compound words are created by
joining a special compound form of the first word with any conjugation
of the second word, thus creating a word of the same class and
conjugation as the second word.

More than one compound form of words [da, fo, se]

For some words there are more than one form, which is valid as the
first part of a compound word.  Since these forms of the words are not
necessarily themselves valid words, we need to be able to distinguish
between stand-alone forms words and compound forms of words in the
word lists.

An example of this is the Swedish word "gata", which in compound words
is spelled either "gat" or "gatu" (in most cases interchangeable),
neither of which are words.

Compounds of compounds [da, fo, se]
-----------------------------------

Since a compound word is also a word, it can again be used to form a
new and even longer compound word.

An example of this is the Danish word "bananrepublikpræsident", which
is composed of the words "bananrepublik" and "præsident", and where
"bananrepublik" again is a compound word.

We are unable to find examples, where a difference in the order words
are joined in ("bananrepublik" + "præsident" vs. "banan" +
"republikpræsident") is important for the spelling.  But it still may
be the case in some languages.

Compounds of proper names and other words [da]

If the compound is a proper name, it is spelled with a capital first
letter.  If it is not a name, it is optional if the first letter is
capitalized or not.  In addition to this general rule, there are some
exceptions, where it is incorrect to capitalize the first letter.

Notice that the proper name used in the compound can be both the first
and the second part of the compound word.

Formal rules [da]
-----------------

Most compound words are produced by rules like these:

  <noun>      <- <compound form of noun> + <noun>
  <noun>      <- <compound form of adjective> + <noun>
  <noun>      <- <adverb> + <noun>
  <adjective> <- <compound form of noun> + <adjective>
  <adjective> <- <compound form of adjective> + <adjective>
  <name>      <- <compound form of name> + <noun>
  <name>      <- <compound form of adjective> + <name>

Since the rules may differ slightly between languages, it may be a
good idea to implement a grammar for specifying how compound words are
created in each language.

User adaptability
-----------------

Since some writers are stronger than others in the handling of
compound words, it may be relevant to allow the users to switch the
automated compound word rules off (or on).  The default should still
be set in the configuration file for the dictionary.

</udkast>

Kommentarer?  Rettelser?

Jacob
--
"It's not a question of whose habitat it is,
 it's a question of how fast you hit it."

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 20:54 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]