Re: [LOCALE] Language Info Needed for Aspell (fwd)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sslug@sslug> writes:

> Jeg har netop modtaget dette dokument fra Kevin Atkinson,
> hovedudvikleren på Aspell.  Det jeg specielt mener er
> interessant for dansk og svensk er om vi kan finde en
> fornuftig måde, man kan bruge til at formalisere reglerne
> for at danne sammensatte ord.

Et forslag til svar på den del er nedenfor:

> Compound Words
> ==============
>
> In some languages, such as German, it is acceptable to string two words
> together, thus forming a compound word.  However, there are rules to
> when this can be done.  Furthermore, it is not always sufficient to
> simply concatenate the two words.  For example, sometimes a letter is
> inserted between the two words.  I tried implementing support for
> compound words in Aspell but it was too limiting and no one used it.
> Before I try implementing it again I want to know all the issues
> involved.

The main issue involved is probably that of meaning. In danish we have
the words (translations in the parenthesises) 'radio' (radio), 'teknik'
(technology), 'motor' (motor) and 'cykel' (bicycle) and can form the
compounds radioteknik (radiotechnology) and motorcykel (motor cycle) but
the compound 'radiocykel' is nonsense.

That problem is probably unsolvable (at least today). Therefore we see
the task as producing something that gives an acceptable error ratio
compared to the number of good words accepted.

Another issue is that many words have special forms when they appear as
the first part of a compound. An example is the swedish word gata
(street) which in compounds is either gatu- or gat- (in most cases
interchangeable), neither of which are words.

Taking this into account most compounds are produced by rules like

.Henrik

--
Det er let at skrive drivere
Det er _svært_ at skrive drivere der virker

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 20:54 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]