Re: [CPROG] unresolved symbols

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Heine Skov wrote:

> pci_read_config_word) I always get unresolved symbols.
>
> I have tried to make a VERY simple module :
>
> #include <linux/kernel.h>
> #include <linux/module.h>
> #include <linux/pci.h>
>
> #if CONFIG_MODVERSIONS==1 #define MODVERSIONS
> #include
> #endif

#if CONFIG_MODVERSIONS==1
#define MODVERSIONS
#include <linux/modversions.h>
#endif

> AS SIMPLE AS IT GETS !!!
>
> When I compile I use the following gcc :
>
> gcc -O -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -c filename.c
gcc -Wall -O -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -c filename.c

> But when I use a depmod -e on the module I get unresolved symbols (pci
> functions and printk)

I think you are getting the list of unresolved symbols for that particular
file:

sslug@sslug 2.2.5-15]$ /sbin/depmod -e fs/vfat.o
fs/vfat.o: unresolved symbol(s)
        fat_read_super_R7101628c
        fat_date_unix2dos_R83fb36a1
        fat_read_inode_Rf23f0483
        fat_put_inode_R00b60105
        fat_dir_operations_R060b8452
        fat_put_super_R6cc696f2
        fat_fs_panic_R240a9fc6
        fat_unlock_creation_R9e32cc5b
        fat_get_entry_R57ed075c
        fat_brelse_R2190b516
        fat_add_cluster_R71aedf1a
        fat_delete_inode_R6499d474
        fat_mark_buffer_dirty_R3a53e527
        fat_notify_change_Re08c2a5f
        fat_esc2uni_Rdf8b5a1e
        fat_write_inode_Rc75806f3
        fat_lock_creation_R4d85e995
        fat_scan_R84c7a6b4
        fat_cache_inval_inode_R173fe278
        fat_statfs_Rf5ee95c8
        fat_readdirx_Rd5f12b92
fs/vfat.o:

sslug@sslug 2.2.5-15]$ /sbin/depmod -e fs/vfat.o fs/fat.o
fs/vfat.o: fs/fat.o

fs/fat.o:

In the first case, when I run the depmod on a single file, it needs a lot
of symbols. In the second case these symbols are present in vfat module.
In other words, I am not sure you have to worry.

> I've checked to see if the kernel exports these symbols and it does.

But, do your kernel have version information and you module does not?
In that case I think depmod may fail.

> I have tried everything I could think of, but nothing seemed to help.
> I hope that someone outthere can help me.

Have you tried insmoding the module?

/sbin/indsmod filename.o

Does that work?

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               sslug@sslug
You know you're a Linux geek when...

    You feel the desire to master vi.

                                                - segfault

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 20:08 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]